Sun 26th Oct 2014 | Last updated: Fri 24th Oct 2014 at 18:39pm

Facebook Logo Twitter Logo RSS Logo
Hot Topics

Latest News

Vatican officials reject nuncio’s ‘corruption’ charge

By on Sunday, 5 February 2012

Benedict XVI greets Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò (CNS)

Benedict XVI greets Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò (CNS)

Vatican officials have dismissed as baseless the accusations of “corruption and abuse of power” made in letters by an archbishop who is now apostolic nuncio to the United States.

In a statement released by the Vatican yesterday, Cardinal-designate Giuseppe Bertello and Cardinal Giovanni Lajolo, the current and immediate past presidents of the Governorate of Vatican City State, described as a “cause of great sadness” the recent “unlawful publication” by Italian journalists of two letters addressed to Pope Benedict XVI and Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, the Vatican secretary of state.

The letters, written by Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò when he was the governorate’s secretary general, or second-highest official, contained assertions based on “erroneous evaluations” or “fears unsupported by proof,” the statement said.

Archbishop Viganò’s letter to the Pope, dated March 27 2011, lamented “so many situations of corruption and abuse of power long rooted in the various departments” of the governorate and suggested that the archbishop’s departure from his position there “would provoke profound confusion and dejection” among all those supporting his efforts at reform.

Pope Benedict named the archbishop as nuncio to the United States in October 2011.

The governorate manages the 108 acres of Vatican City State, including the Vatican Gardens and Museums.

During Archbishop Viganò’s stint at the governorate a budget deficit of nearly £6.2 million (€7.5 million, $9.8 million) in 2009 turned into a surplus of £18 million ($28 million, €21 million) in 2010.

According to the Vatican statement, which was also signed by the current secretary general and a former vice-secretary general of the governorate, the improved finances during the period in question were “due principally to two factors”: the management of the governorate’s financial investments by a different Vatican office and, “in even greater measure, to the excellent results of the Vatican Museums”.

Archbishop Vigano’s letter to Cardinal Bertone, dated May 8 2011, complained of the cardinal’s plans to remove the archbishop from his post and accused the cardinal of breaking a promise to let the archbishop succeed the then-president of the governorate, Cardinal Lajolo, upon the latter’s retirement.

In the letter, the archbishop blamed Cardinal Bertone’s change of mind on the effects of “strategies put into action in order to destroy me in the eyes of Your Eminence”, including the planting of libelous stories in the Italian press by several of Archbishop Vigano’s enemies among fellow Vatican officials.

The archbishop singled out one such official – Mgr Paolo Nicolini, managing director of the Vatican Museums – for especially severe and colourful criticism, including charges of mismanagement.

The Vatican statement did not acknowledge several other recently published letters apparently written by Archbishop Viganò. But it seemed to contest certain charges made in one of those letters, dated April 4 2011, and addressed to Pope Benedict.

That letter alleged “corruption” in the granting of contracts to outside vendors. “Jobs were always given to the same companies,” it said, “at a cost that was double that of similar work carried out outside the Vatican.”

The letter claimed that the archbishop had been able in one year to cut the cost of the Christmas Nativity scene in St Peter’s Square by £207,000 (€250,000, $328,000).

The same letter criticised the “inexperience” of investment advisers whose recommendations purportedly led the Vatican to lose £2.1 million (€2.5 million, $3.3 million) in a single transaction.

By contrast, the Vatican statement emphasised the regularity of the governorate’s procedure for assigning major contracts, with oversight provided by a special committee appointed by the president.

The statement also expressed “full faith” in the “illustrious members” of the governorate’s financial and management committee, its departments heads and other officials, in spite of “suspicions and accusations” which have been “revealed – upon careful examination – as unfounded.”

  • Realist

    Seems a bit of a mess.