Wed 23rd Jul 2014 | Last updated: Tue 22nd Jul 2014 at 14:13pm

Facebook Logo Twitter Logo RSS Logo
Hot Topics

Latest News

Jesuit superior announces intention to resign after he turns 80

By on Tuesday, 20 May 2014

Father Adolfo Nicolas, Jesuit superior general, with Pope Francis (CNS)

Father Adolfo Nicolas, Jesuit superior general, with Pope Francis (CNS)

Father Adolfo Nicolas, superior general of the Jesuits, has announced his intention to resign in late 2016 after he turns 80.

“Reflecting on the coming years, I have reached the personal conviction that I should take the needed steps toward submitting my resignation to a general congregation,” Father Nicolas said in a letter dated May 20 and sent to Jesuits around the world.

Father Nicolas, who was elected in 2008, said he already has discussed the idea with Pope Francis — a Jesuit — with officials at the Jesuit headquarters and with Jesuit provincials around the world.

“The result of the consultation is favourable toward the convening of a general congregation,” he said.

Like the Pope, the superior general of the Jesuits is elected for life, although the Jesuit constitutions include provisions for the superior general to resign. Father Nicolas succeeded Father Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, who resigned at the age of 79. At the time, Father Kolvenbach said, “the Society of Jesus has the right to be governed and animated by a Jesuit in full possession of his physical and spiritual talents and not by a companion whose energies continue to diminish because of age.”

When delegates to the general congregation accepted his resignation, Father Kolvenbach thanked them “for so graciously firing me.”

Five days later, the delegates elected Father Nicolas, a Spaniard who had been serving as moderator of the Jesuit Conference of East Asia and Oceania. At the time, Father Nicolas told reporters it was unlikely any Jesuit leader again would feel an absolute obligation to serve until death.

The Society of Jesus, the largest religious order of men in the Catholic Church, includes about 17,000 priests and brothers.

COMMENT POLICY

The Catholic Herald comment guidelines
At The Catholic Herald we want our articles to provoke spirited and lively debate. We also want to ensure the discussions hosted on our website are carried out in civil terms.

All commenters are therefore politely asked to ensure that their posts respond directly to points raised in the particular article or by fellow contributors, and that all responses are respectful.

We implement a strict moderation policy and reserve the right to delete comments that we believe contravene our guidelines. Here are a few key things to bear in mind when com
menting…

Do not make personal attacks on writers or fellow commenters – respond only to their arguments.
Comments that are deemed offensive, aggressive or off topic will be deleted.
Unsubstantiated claims and accusations about individuals or organisations will be deleted.
Keep comments concise. Comments of great length may be deleted.
We try to vet every comment, however if you would like to alert us to a particular posting please use the ‘Report’ button.

Thank you for your co-operation,
The Catholic Herald editorial team