Mon 22nd Sep 2014 | Last updated: Mon 22nd Sep 2014 at 16:06pm

Facebook Logo Twitter Logo RSS Logo
Hot Topics

Latest News

Obama authorises airstrikes on Iraqi militants

By on Friday, 8 August 2014

President Barack Obama speaking about the situation in Iraq Below: Displaced Iraqi Christians settle at St. Joseph Church in Irbil, northern Iraq (PA)

President Barack Obama speaking about the situation in Iraq Below: Displaced Iraqi Christians settle at St. Joseph Church in Irbil, northern Iraq (PA)

President Barack Obama has authorised air strikes against Islamic State (IS) militants in northern Iraq.

He referred to the siege of Yazidi refugees in the Sinjar mountains as having the potential for “genocide”.

“When we face a situation like we do on that mountain, with innocent people facing the prospect of violence on a horrific scale and we have a mandate to help – in this case a request from the Iraqi government – and when we have unique capabilities to act to avoid a massacre, I believe the United States cannot turn a blind eye,” he said in a statement from the White House last night.”

He added: “Earlier this week, one Iraqi said no-one is coming to help. Well, today America is coming to help,” he said.

Mideast Iraq

The strikes have not yet begun but last night US forces has made humanitarian air drops to Iraqis under threat from the militants.

This morning, Prime Minister David Cameron said he “utterly condemns the barbaric attacks” by Islamist “terrorists” across Iraq. He said that he was “especially concerned” for the Yazidi community trapped in the mountains.

Yesterday, IS overran Qaraqosh, Iraq’s biggest Christian town, forcing the population of the town, many of them Christian, to flee. The Islamists are now reported to be advancing towards the Kurdish stronghold of Irbil.

Last night the the UN security council criticised the attacks and urged international support for the Iraqi government. This follow’s Pope Francis’s call for the international community to help those being persecuted in Iraq.

COMMENT POLICY

The Catholic Herald comment guidelines
At The Catholic Herald we want our articles to provoke spirited and lively debate. We also want to ensure the discussions hosted on our website are carried out in civil terms.

All commenters are therefore politely asked to ensure that their posts respond directly to points raised in the particular article or by fellow contributors, and that all responses are respectful.

We implement a strict moderation policy and reserve the right to delete comments that we believe contravene our guidelines. Here are a few key things to bear in mind when com
menting…

Do not make personal attacks on writers or fellow commenters – respond only to their arguments.
Comments that are deemed offensive, aggressive or off topic will be deleted.
Unsubstantiated claims and accusations about individuals or organisations will be deleted.
Keep comments concise. Comments of great length may be deleted.
We try to vet every comment, however if you would like to alert us to a particular posting please use the ‘Report’ button.

Thank you for your co-operation,
The Catholic Herald editorial team