Archbishop Ignatius Kaigama has called on the international community to help stop the Islamist advance in Nigeria
The West is ignoring the violent actions of the militant Islamist group, Boko Haram, in Nigeria, according to one of the country’s archbishops.
Archbishop Ignatius Kaigama of Jos has called on the international community to do more to help stop the group’s advance in Nigeria, saying that Boko Haram must be opposed in the same way that the Paris terrorist attacks have been.
Speaking to the BBC’s Newsday programme, he said: “We need that spirit to be spread around. Not just when [an attack] happens in Europe, but when it happens in Nigeria, in Niger, in Cameroon. We [must] mobilise our international resources and face or confront the people who bring such sadness to many families.”
Archbishop Kaigama was speaking in the wake of weekend attacks by three female suicide bombers. One of the bombers, said to be just 10 years old, reportedly killed about 20 people on Saturday in Maiduguri, north Nigeria, while four more people are said to have died after two suicide bombers attacked the town of Potiskum on Sunday.
Last week also saw reports that 2000 people were killed by Boko Haram in an attack on the town of Baga in Borno state. The archbishop said that the assault on Baga showed that the Nigerian army was not capable of dealing with Boko Haram.
“It is a monumental tragedy. It has saddened all of Nigeria,” he added. “But we seem to be helpless. Because if we could stop Boko Haram, we would have done it right away. But they continue to attack, and kill and capture territories… with such impunity.”

















